Tuesday 25 November 2008

No ticket and no radio - and it's agony

I couldn't get to Bramall Lane this evening, and I can't tune my radio into BBC WM.

I refuse to pay to find out about my team on Wolves World, and the various text commentaries on the internet add facts, but very little if any flavour.

And with Wolves travelling to Sheffield United on a Champions League Tuesday, we've no chance of any coverage on BBC Radio Five Live. We're not even worthy of Five Live Sports Extra.

So I'm reduced to Ceefax and the BBC football website - and all I know 35 minutes in is that Big Chris has scored from a tight angle after an "assist" from Michael Kightly, and poor David Edwards, after such an impressive performance on a rare start at the weekend, has already been stretchered off.

On has come George Friend, who looked so hopelessly off the pace during our drubbing at Swansea.

Now I feel like an ex-pat, hanging on for some positive information about my team. I might as well be on the other side of the world.

I keep refreshing this link: http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/live_text/default.stm?refresh

What it's telling me is that we're still one-up, while Blues are already bagging three points at Ipswich.

That's not tonight's dream scenario. An Ipswich win at St Andrew's, and a win for Super Mick's men. Then victory over Blues on Saturday - and we would be a mind-boggling 12 points clear of Alex McLeish's men come quarter past two on November 29.

Twelve points, what a statement of intent that would be. But unless Ipswich do something stunning, it's not going to happen.

Blackpool captain Rob Edwards reckons his old club are going to win the league. Maybe there's a touch of sentiment clouding that judgement.

But it could happen. It really could.

Refresh again, and we're still one-up. It's 35.34 and Billy Sharp has just fouled Carl Ikeme. But he hasn't beaten him - yet.

This is such a massive week for Wolves. But there should be no panic if come Saturday afternoon our fantastic run of victories is at an end.

It's only a massive week if Wolves can secure six points. If we don't, we are still fantastically placed to maintain a promotion push.

Refresh again, and that Sharp challenge must have hurt Ikeme - as Wales' No 1 is back on the pitch.

Ikeme has performed admirably, but Wayne Hennessey is back - and I'd back him to perform fantastically well in the second half.

He may need to.

This is no way to "watch" Wolves. But even though I can't see them, or hear the BBC WM boys, I know exactly how they will be playing with the game having arrived at half time - and that makes me extremely proud.

No comments: