Tuesday 22 September 2009

Standing shoulder to shoulder with Berra

I've just looked at the Premier League table

And if a sense of order is starting to prevail after half a dozen games, I'm struggling to find much to scare me.

What a great feeling built around the really excellent performance on Sunday against Fulham.

A man's performance, to a man, epitomised by the quite fantastic Christophe Berra, left me sitting in the South Bank, getting re-acquainted with my massively under-used yellow seat, with a contented smile - and a warm appreciation of what Wolves have done since that stunning day in May that none of us will forget.

Now I'm sat looking at the Premier League table - while also content with my decision that I won't pay £41 to watch my team run out at Old Trafford tomorrow night.

It'll be Radio 5 Live Sports Extra for me. Whether I can afford £41 is irrelevant. It's an obscene amount of money, and whoever has agreed that price - be it United, Wolves or both - should hang their heads in shame.

But the Carling Cup sideshow is nothing compared to the main event, and with Wolves nestled comfortably in 12th, let's get back to the league table.

The top seven clubs scare me - Chelsea, United, Liverpool, City, Villa, Spurs and Arsenal - and I'm very wary of Stoke, Everton and West Ham over a 38-game season.

But then what? A lot of clubs that Wolves can go toe to toe with, and accumulate enough points from, if they play with the heart and pace that unsettled Fulham.

And let's not forget, Sunday's excellent win was secured without our undisputed player-of-the-year Kevin Foley - and the unproven but exciting Michael Kightly and Sylvan.

With Kevin Doyle looking increasingly the real deal, and Matt Jarvis steadily improving his supply from the left, Wolves can be better than Portsmouth, Hull, Blackburn, Bolton, Blues, Burnley and Wigan.

This feels so different to the pathetic first attempt at Premier League football in 2003. This feels like Wolves have an outstanding chance to build some concrete foundations - unlike Sir Jack's house of straw that was so embarrassingly blown away in 2004.

I was taken aback by Wolves on Sunday. After such a feeble performance at Ewood Park, I thought Fulham would heighten the feeling of trepidation as we journey on towards our hugely difficult October and November.

But the unflinching Berra, our Scottish braveheart, took me by surprise.
When the going got tough, Berra was a boulder of granite.

I used to love watching Joleon Lescott. He was so often immense at Molineux. Practically unbeatable. But I can't remember many performances of his that would eclipse what we witnessed from Berra on Sunday.

And if that doesn't give us all hope, I'm not sure what will

No comments: